Thursday, September 27, 2007

Moon Festival

This Tuesday(9/25) is the "Moon Festival." It's one of the three most important traditional holidays in Chinese. This is not the first time I had Moon Festival abroad. The first time was in 2005 when I came to San Francisco. This is the second time. Strange, right? I had both of them here in SF!!!And this year, I was abroad for all three important traditional holidays: Chinese New Year(Boston), Dragon Boat Festival(Boston), and Moon Festival(SF). I've never thought about that my life would have such a big change in one year!! Life is just amazing.....

For people who don't know about this Moon Festival, I can tell that there are several versions of stories for this festival. If anyone is interested in knowing it, Wikipedia is the best tool. Here is the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

But anyway, this festival is for families to get together, having BBQ and eating some "moon cakes." I went out with a Chinese couple to Daly City(where there lives a lot of Chinese) on Saturday, celebrating this festival. The couple, Mr. and Mrs. Lee, are from China and I knew them when I went on the tour to Oregon with my families. They live not far from my place and their only son studies at UC Davis. I've never met him because he's at school, but I know he has a girlfriend already. :-p Mr. and Mrs. Lee really takes good care of me and treat me well. I do appreciate them and my mom also feels thankful for them. As I've mentioned in the previous article, I was dizzy last Monday and Tuesday. When Mrs. Lee knew that I was sick, she cook me some good soup and some sweet soup. I was so touched!!

Well, last weekend when I talked with Richard, he said he was going to the "Police" concert. I didn't realized what kind of concert that was, maybe an orchestra of police officers??? I was confused when he asked me if I knew the "Police." All of a sudden, I remembered that there's a group of singer called "Police" from the 70's and 80's. Oh My God!!! I was not even born or just born when they were super popular!!! But fortunately, I heard of them or I would be so embarrassed that I did not know the concert which he went to......

Richard always told me to go to the Golden Gate Park. He said it would be a huge pity that I live so close to the park but never go there. But I still didn't go to the park last weekend. I just don't know what I could do there. I don't have a bike so I can't biking. Walking in the park alone is lonely, and when I was alone, sometimes there are weird guys who want to approach me. It's not like Boston or Cambridge, where no one would want to approach me. Things are just different here......the streets are full of homeless people and they act strangely. I'm still not getting used to this situation and I don't want my safety to be threatened! But the most critical reason is I'm LAZY!!! I just don't want to go out during the weekend!!!

School turns out to be a very exciting place. The quizzes are just full of surprises and even though you've prepared for a long time, you still screw it up!!! What s nice place!!! There's one professor, Prof. Veitch, who is just a sly fox. The lectures and the assignments are both not positively related to the quizzes. His strategy is to make you panic and also make you think....in a 20-minutes quiz starts at 8:00am on Monday. I just got the result of the previous quiz and the average was only 6.39 out of 15!!! What kind of average was that?? (sigh...) But don't worry, I'm talking about the average situation in our class. Most of the time, I have my scores above the average. I'm trying hard not to fall behind.

Also, since the semester has been divided into 2 parts, the end of the first-half semester is coming, which means the finals are just around the corner.....I'll be in hell from now on.....

No comments: